Quality photovoltaic solutions for a brighter future
In the race to satisfy our ever growing energy needs, solar energy is rapidly emerging as one of the most viable options currently available. The last five years have seen dramatic growth in the demand for photovoltaic (PV) cells and modules, especially in Europe and the US.
Investors and project developers need to ensure their return on investment and receive independent intelligence on expected energy yield for investment decisions. Manufacturing of components of PV modules has become a highly competitive global business. Players in the market need to ensure their products deliver on quality and reliability as well as conform to international standards. Operators need to ensure the PV plant delivers on yield targets and operates efficiently. Downtime due to cell malfunction and maintenance cost will directly impact bottom line.
TÜV SÜD provides a suite of services from PV plant design to dismantling that ensure PV plant safety, quality and efficiency as well as investment certainty. Upon onset of the project, TÜV SÜD experts conduct feasibility studies to assess site location suitability and system conditions including grid compatibility, providing independent and impartial expert reports on yield expectations for investors and project developers. Our bankability service suite provides investors with expert technical support on aspects such as cost planning, the insurance package and monitoring and inspection during installation.
Our supplier evaluation, PV manufacturer factory audits and pre and post shipment inspection will ensure the modules you receive are produced by a reliable and quality supplier and that delivered goods meet specified criteria. Avoiding costs and delays that will affect your project timeline.
PV module manufacturers with find in TÜV SÜD a reliable partner who is well versed in national and international technical requirements. We conduct product testing and certification of photovoltaic modules, CPV modules/assemblies and PV components to international standards such as IEC 62108, IEC 61215, IEC 61646 and IEC 61730 in our ISO 17025 accredited laboratories around the globe.
Once in operation we conduct regular inspections preventatively insuring maintenance issues will not affect plant operating costs and performance.
Further, we conduct management system certification audits for module manufacturers and operators to ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001 and ISO 50001. Training courses on quality for planners, architects and construction engineers rounds off our portfolio. Ensuring end to end consistent product and process quality to international standards and buyer specific criteria.
Our services at a glance
Services for investors, banks, EPC's and developers
- Pre-feasibility study
- Resource assessment
- Site assessment
- Bankability study
- Feasibility studies
- Environmental due diligence
- Yield study
- Financial yield study
- Review of contracts
- Purchasing services
- Supplier integrity services
- Grid compliance
Services for module and module component manufacturers
TÜV SÜD supports PV manufacturers with testing and certification to the following international standards.
- PV Modules
- IEC/EN 61215 (c-Si, performance)
- IEC/EN 61646 (thin film, performance)
- IEC/EN 61730-1, -2 (c-SI & thin film, safety)
- PV Electrical components
- Junction Box: DIN V VDE V 0126-5:2008
- Connectors: EN 50521: 2008
- Cables: Draft DIN VDE AK 4126.96.36.1998
- PV Materials
- Back-sheet: Partial Discharge Test, IEC 61730-2 (IEC 60664-1)
- EVA: peel test, gel content of lamination
- Balance of System (BOS Components)
- Inverters: IEC 62109, EN 50178
- Sun trackers: Safety Test Protocol (combination of IEC standards)
- Other services
- R&D testing: standard or extended environmental tests
- Electroluminescence, thermography
- Consultancy on PV laboratory requirements
- PV laboratory qualification for External Testing Programs with TÜV SÜD
Services for owners and operators
- Owners' engineer
- Certification of the PV plant
- Final acceptance test
- Performance ratio assessment
- Diagnosis of malfunction
- Re-financing assessment
- Review of operation and maintenance
- In-service inspections
- Staff training and qualification